The RaceOwl System
A combination of website, smartphone apps, and satellite trackers use checkpoint and location data to provide real-time status and results of all racers during an event.
To take full advantage of the system capabilities, racers should track their position via satellite tracker or the RaceOwl app in addition to any required checkpoint logging.
We strongly encourage tracking so that:
- Ground crews can know when to expect you at the next checkpoint or paddle stop.
- Safety crews have an approximate location of each racer at any given point during the race.
- Spectators can enjoy tracking racers during the event.
There are two ways to track your position during the race:
- Use a satellite tracker, such as Garmin InReach or SPOT Tracker
- Use the RaceOwl app for iOS or Android.
The benefit of using a satellite tracker is that you will have continuous connectivity over the entire race course. However, satellite trackers and their associated subscriptions can be very costly and don’t provide the checkpoint logging capabilities that may be required by race officials.
RaceOwl apps offer the ability to both track the racer and handle the required checkpoint logging.
So you can learn more about how to use the RaceOwl app and website, we have created a series of training materials and opportunities:
- Download the RaceOwl app for iOS or Android.
- Review the training documents available on RaceOwl.com.
- Follow the MR340 Facebook page and Forum to learn about upcoming Zoom training meeting(s) and/or training videos.
If you have any questions, contact RaceOwl at RaceOwl.Info@gmail.com .
- A live map that showing the current locations of all tracked racers
- Rank ordered status and results
- Individual split times and estimated time of arrival at checkpoints
- Data retention for later viewing and analysis
Officials can provide important information to your racers by broadcasting messages to all racers at once from RaceOwl.
Race officials may require checkpoint logging of entry, exit, or race withdrawal. The RaceOwl system provides multiple methods for checkpoint logging:
Text in/out from any texting phone app. RaceOwl can parse and log the text automatically log the checkpoint for the racer
Use of the RaceOwl apps to send checkpoint entry/exit/withdrawal
- Use of automatic checkpoint logging for racers who are sending track data to RaceOwl
RaceOwl App store links:
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RaceOwl&hl=en
- iOS https://apps.apple.com/us/app/raceowl/id1095191030?ls=1
Tracking and Checkpoint:
Training Video Playlists: